Friday, October 15, 2010

Din Danske Missionær 10/11/2010

Hej alle min familie og venner!

I hope this letter finds you all well! I hope you are enjoying the fall weather as winter is just around the corner. Its officially cold enough now in Denmark where I need to wear a jacket every day. I don't know if its because it really is cold, or because I have some of the Florida blood from my Mom.... hehe. Either way, winter is coming and I am enjoying this weather as much as I can before it gets too cold! Its been quite a busy week this week for me, so let me re-cap to y'all.

So because we had General Conference last weekend we had some missionaries stay over for Monday for p-day as we had Zone Conference on Tuesday.So on Monday we have 4 additional missionaries in my apartment. That was kind of fun, a little a wild, but a lot of fun. We talked and simply enjoyed each others company. We had pizza (something we do not eat as often) and had fun! Then that night we found out there was an additional 2 missionaries coming to spend the the night as they live to far away to travel Tuesday morning. So we had 8 missionaries including myself in my apartment... wow, what an interesting night! haha.

Then on Tuesday we had Zone conference! Our mission president has decided to have a ZC every other month. So this last week I have been so busy, I actually didn't even think about that we had zone conference... so I didn't really prepare anything for it. Because every conference our mission president chooses 2 people randomly to give a talk... Well guess what... I got called on. YIKES! I didn't have anything prepared at all. The topic was on Goal setting... oh and did I mention this is also in Danish! haha. So wow that was a scary moment! So i grabbed my scriptures and Sister Andersen (Mission presidents wife) noticed I was nervous and gave me a thumbs up. haha. She new I was not entirely ready. So I made my way up and began to speak.......... TO BE CONTINUED. I will tell the rest in my spiritual message below! haha. Zone conference went well and it was a nice day to relax and catch up with all the other missionaries.

Then on Thursday I needed to take care of my Visa Information. I finished all my paper work and sent it into the mission office and they approved it all. Then they sent it back to me and said take it to the nearest Police station and they will finish it up for you. So I make my way to the police station and enter the doors and I was like, wow this is a nice station. It looked newly remodeled and it was very comfortable. Well I found out that was the wrong part of the station I was in. I needed to go to another part of the building. I followed the signs that said, "Immigration office." So I made my way over there and wow, was it a crazy experience. I enter the room and it was really small, plain white walls and a number take system. I was number 88 and the number was on 72 when I arrived. The room was stinky and small and was very uncomfortable. Quite the difference from the other part of the station I was at. Well I ended up waiting for 1 hour and a half for it to get to number 88. While I was waiting I was like the only white guy in that room. haha. The rest were from crazy parts of the world like Africa, or somewhere in the middle east. I kept getting strange looks from them, lol! Finally my number was called and I left the waiting room and entered the office where a nice danish lady helped me out. She was mean with me at first, until she asked, "Do you speak Danish?" I looked at her and said in Danish,"absolutely, I am in Denmark, arnt I?" She got a big smile on her face and we spoke danish to each other. She was so impressed I spoke and understood danish. Danes do not like foreigners that do not speak their language. So we got my visa stuff figured out and it took only a matter of 5 minutes. I asked her why it took forever with other people and she said its because nobody else had there paperwork finished, She said I was one of the first that had no problems that day. haha. So I made her happy, as I don't think she liked dealing with all the foreigners. I also was very kind and I mean who could resist the "Skyler Hardy Charm" haha. Just kidding! :) I just treated her how I would want to be treated... its amazing how well that principle works! :) It was still quite an experience as I was treated like a foreigner.... that was kind of a new concept for me. It kind of made me a little homesick. I cant wait to be back in my own country! :) So yea, this was a shocker of an experience for me.

We taught THU this week again. She is doing well with English. She always mentions God in our language lessons, which is awesome! But everything we want to teach her about Joseph Smith and Book of Mormon are still beyond her limit with english. So patience and time and I am sure the Lord will bless her and me and my companion so she can learn about the restored Gospel of Jesus christ! :) YEA BABY! I am excited to see where this will go!

We also met with Marianne this week! She is a sweet young lady and I was just glad she still wanted to meet. I tried setting a baptismal date with her last time and that kind of freaked her out. However she still wants to learn about the church, so given more time and more understanding, who knows what will happen. We taught her about the Book of Mormon and basically where it began and where it ended. We shared some scriptures with her and had a good lesson. She told me she is very interested in her family history... I said we have just the thing to help you out. So we are going to schedule her a day where she can do some family history work with a member who knows all that stuff to help Marianne out. :) So that exciting.

As for Nicole the other investigator I have. She is a human roller coaster and right now is on pause with the missionaries. She goes up and down and up and down with the church. It was stressing me out and stressing her out, so I decided to give her a pause. I hope the best for her. If its meant to be things will work out. So yea.

So my spiritual message for the day goes with the story I began about me giving a talk in Zone Conference. Normally I do prepare stuff but these last few weeks have been crazy and for once I was caught un-prepared. SO I get up there and was praying as hard as I can to say something meaningful. Well the Lord blessed me with inspiration and told me to share my favorite scriptures Helaman 5:12- Which says,
And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the arock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your bfoundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty cstorm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

Ok, so your probably wondering what this has to do with the topic of Goal setting. Well I basically said that in all reality a Goal is only worth while if your intent and desire is aligned with that goal. I also said, Goal setting is not new and its something we do all the time as missionaries and human beings. So the thing I shared with them, is remember where your foundation lies. Remember that if our foundation is built upon Jesus Christ, WE CANNOT FALL. That the reason we are missionaries is because of Jesus Christ and to help others come unto him. So that is my spiritual message for the day. Always remember why we are members of this church and why we always strive to be betters, why we set goals in our lives... its because of Jesus Christ. He is the way and there is no other way except through him. So yea, it turned out well and I thought it was a good little message. :) You should of heard me say it in Danish! :) hehe.

Well everyone, that was my week. I hope all of you have an amazing next week, filled with joy and happiness and all types of good stuff. Take care and Ha det godt! :)

Med Kærlig Hilsen,
Din Dansk Missionær,
Ældste Skyler Hardy!

No comments:

Post a Comment